About ICBC

In British Columbia, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, ICBC, a provincial government corporation is the insurance company from which all B.C. drivers must obtain their basic motor vehicle insurance coverage. ICBC is governed by statutes and regulations.

Autoplan Insurance

Autoplan insurance is the minimum amount of insurance a vehicle must have to operate in B.C. It includes a minimum of $200,000 third party legal liability, uninsured or underinsured motorist protection, (UMP) of a minimum of $1,000,000 and rehabilitation accident benefits of up to $150,000. I recommend that you purchase more insurance, particularly UMP, to protect you and your family.

If you are Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident

If you are in a crash with another vehicle that has ICBC insurance, ICBC will decide if you have coverage, and then will represent all those involved with ICBC insurance. ICBC may not be acting on an individual’s behalf. ICBC employees are looking to ensure ICBC’s profits.

You should consider speaking to a lawyer about your accident claim before speaking with ICBC. When you speak with an ICBC adjuster, it may affect your legal rights, including your insurance coverage.
At law, when you are involved in an accident you are required to:

  1. Advise ICBC of the accident as soon as possible;
  2. Give a statement about the accident and its consequences; and
  3. Provide ICBC with a proof of claim form for accident/rehabilitation benefits.

I strongly recommend seeking legal advice before providing ICBC with any of this information.

Accident Benefits

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in British Columbia, regardless of who is at fault for the accident, you are entitled to accident/rehabilitation benefits, sometimes known as Part 7 benefits or No Fault benefits. These benefits may include wage loss replacement or payment for rehabilitation services, such as physiotherapy or other treatments. In order to receive these benefits, you must fill out an Accident Benefit application within 90 days of your accident. A lawyer can assist you with this form to ensure you receive all benefits to which you are entitled.